Sunday 20 May 2012

Sunday #Clay5 - Double Features

I thought I'd use Sundays for my own special #Clay5 lists. Some of these might be a little esoteric and hard to confine to 140 characters, so I thought I'd save them for the blog. I wanted to share my Top 5 Movie Doubles. Now, I have seen these either in the cinema or in the comfort of my own home.

1. The Incredibles (2004) & Watchmen (2009)
It was amazing how similar these two films were. I love looking behind the mask, and watching the way that society looked down on the films' ex-superheroes added a touch of realism to the fantasy in both cases. Sure, one is a PG-rated Pixar film and the other is based one of the most complex graphic novels ever written, but they handle the themes of identity and being an outsider very well. What happens to a superhero when they are no longer one? These two compliment each other brilliantly.

2. The Shining (1980) & A Clockwork Orange (1971)
I remember catching these flicks at the Luna Cinema Monday night double in Leederville with a group of friends. This would have been before Clockwork was available on DVD. A double shot of Kubrick? Nuff said.

3. The Wild Geese (1978) & Full Metal Jacket (1987)

These two war films were watched by me and Kieran at my parent's house in Albany. I think I was 18 and he 16. We picked a movie each that we wanted to show the other and feasted on KFC. Oh, Full Metal Jacket was my pick...more Kubrick!

4. The Adventures of Tintin (2011) & Hugo (2011)

Our little Bolgie family caught this awesome double at the Busselton Drive-In in the April school holidays this year. As much as I like these films, I think I am fonder of the experience. Both kids were fairly transfixed by both movies, and it was just wonderful to enjoy them as a family.

5. Grindhouse: Planet Terror & Death Proof (2007)

I had been waiting for this double feature to hit Aussie screens, and when I learnt it wouldn't happen due to poor US box office performance, I was livid. Thankfully, the Luna (Outdoor) Cinema in Leederville came to the rescue again. I caught this awesome viewing sensation one Monday night with Court and we made the mistake of downing two Little Creatures Pale Ales before they started. We had to hold it for the whole time, as there was no intermission, ha ha ha. 


Honourable Mentions:
Inception (2010) & The Prestige (2006)
Love Actually (2003) & Die Hard (1988)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) & Back To The Future (1985)
Dark City (1998) & The Matrix (1999)
Brazil (1985) & The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1989)


Double Features Yet to Experience:
L.A. Confidential (1997) & Chinatown (1974)
Fargo (1996) & The Big Lebowski (1998)
The Great Escape (1963) & Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Flags of Our Fathers (2006) & Letters From Iwo Jima (2006)
Animal Kingdom (2010) & The Departed (2006)





No comments:

Post a Comment